Saturday, January 10, 2009

Some changes coming up...

We have a few changes coming up in our life soon and our home will definitely be reflecting them. So I thought it might be a good idea to show you our living room as it is now, and then let you follow the changes as they happen. First of all, we're expecting a new baby in a couple of weeks, but also my husband will be going back to school (starting monday actually) so he will need some office space. The only place for it is in the living room, so here we'll see most changes. I've been looking everywhere on the web for inspiration for home offices and I'll soon post a few of the pictures I've found. But for now, our living room:

We got the sofas at a thrift store for next to nothing. I had gone there by myself and had forgotten my phone, so I couldn't reach my husband. I got help at the store getting the sofas into my car (had to go two trips of course) but when I came to our flat I had to carrie them on my own. This was exactly a year ago and we had snow up to our knees. I don't know how I did it, I just knew I had to have them! The credenza we got off the Icelandic equivalent to Craigslist. It had legs originally, but we couldn't get it into the car with them on, so off they came and we never put them on again. Our son got the wheely bug for his first birthday from our Danish friends in London. I made the curtains with fabric from IKEA.

I love having double living rooms. In the bigger one we have the sitting area and dining, and in the smaller, where we actually spend the most time, we have the TV, books, mags and stuff like that. We decided to paint the wall between the two areas black to seperate them more visually. We decorated on a really tight budget, so most of the items are either thrifted, hand me downs or something really cheap from IKEA. Like the dining room chairs, they were the cheapest ones we found there. The table comes from my childhood home. We got the mirror from the window display in a shop my husband used to manage.

I really like the profile of the sofas, it reminds me of my grandfather's old armchair.



I'll soon be getting the most fantastic item to hang on that black wall. It used to belong to my grandmother and I have such fond memories of it from my childhood.



I made enough curtain wings so they could reach all the way across the room when drawn, also in the TV room.
If any of you know of any great pictures that could inspire me to create my husband's home office in this space, please please please send me some links. Also if you have any advice, please share :)

No comments: