Friday, August 13, 2010

Harvesting

I love autumn for so many great things. Autumn/winter collections. Cozy nights in. And harvesting. I've made two variations of rhubarb jam with the rhubarbs from my garden, and I have a kilo (2.2 lbs) of rhubarbs in my freezer I'm going to make rhubarb chutney out of.
I've gone berry picking twice, for some blueberries and crowberries. I think I'll just make plain blueberry jam from the blueberries, or maybe just use them in smoothies. With the crowberries I'll make crowberry jam, crowberry chutney and crowberry schnapps.


Regular rhubarb jam

1k g chopped rhubarbs (2.2 lbs) 
0.8 kg sugar (1.75 lbs)
Simmer until brown (about an hour)


Rhubarb jam deluxe

1 kg chopped rhubarbs (2.2 lbs)
2 apples
0.8 kg sugar (1.75 lbs)
4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
Simmer until brown (about an hour), put in clean jars, close.
I'm proud to say that me and mum came up with this recipe last year!




Blueberry jam

1 kg blueberries (2.2 lbs)
0.7 kg sugar (1.65 lbs)

Simmer for 15-20 minutes, put in clean jars and close.




Crowberry jam

same as blueberry jam


Crowberry chutney

600 gr crowberries (1.3 lbs)
1 red onion, chopped
1-2 apples, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2.5 cm ginger, chopped (1 inch)
1 dl raisins (1.4 fl oz)
2.5 dl brown sugar (8.45 fl oz)
1 dl wine vinegar (1.4 fl oz)
.5 tsp salt
1 tsp mustard seeds

Simmer for 30 minutes, blend lightly with a hand blender, put in jars, close
This is heavenly with cheese!


Crowberry schnapps

Rinse the crowberries carefully.
Leave them to dry in the shadow - on paper towel.
If your berries are frozen - defrost them in the vodka.
Use a clean glass jar with tight-fitting lid.
Fill the jar with berries.
Fill up with clear, unflavoured vodka - 40% alcohol content (80 proof).
Steep for 1-3 months or longer - in a dark place at room temperature, 18-20°C (64-68°F).
Shake lightly and taste it from time to time.
Strain and filter your infusion into a clean glass bottle or jar with tight-fitting lid.

This will be perfect for Christmas!
When I was berry picking I found a lot of this wonderful herb, Mother-of-thyme. I grabbed a whole bunch and dried it and have been using it for tea. It's supposed to calm the stomach, cure colds and coughs and even hangovers... again, perfect for the holidays!


No comments: